Services provided by the Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations and
funded by the City of Toronto
Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations - Organizer and Outreach Worker
Our Outreach and Organizing Team requires a full time (35 hrs. per week) person to work with tenants in Toronto. This position will deal with issues under the Residential Tenancies Act such as rent increases above the guideline and other issues affecting the supply of affordable rental housing.
The ideal candidate:
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and speaking ability.
- Must support tenant rights and the goals of the Federation.
- Must be able to work with diverse groups.
- Must be able to work evening hours and occasional weekends.
- Must be willing to travel to all parts of Toronto, although car not required (TTC pass provided).
- Should have good knowledge of tenant legislation and policies, particularly rent regulation.
- Should have experience in the tenant community. Knowledge of smart metering and environmental issues would be an asset.
- Experience in working with a variety of cultures, and/or fluency in other languages would also be an asset.
The successful candidate will be working in a team atmosphere and with tenants across the City as we seek to improve the quality of life for residential tenants. Our Outreach program is part of the City of Toronto Tenant Defence Fund Program.
Salary will be $40,392 per annum with a benefit package after four months. FMTA Staff are members of CUPE Local 1281.
Interested persons should submit a covering letter with their resume to [email protected]enants.org. For those without e-mail, regular mail (address below), or a fax may be sent to 416-413-9821. Please submit by February 23, 2010, 4:00 pm.
No phone calls please. Only those applicants considered for the position will be contacted for an interview.
For more information about the Federation, visit www.torontotenants.org .
We welcome the contributions that individuals from oppressed communities bring to our organization, and invites aboriginal people, people of colour, women, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, two-spirtied people, transsexuals,single parents,members of ethnic minorities,immigrants and people with disabilities to apply. Any personal disclosure will be held in confidence.