The Annual Rent Guideline Increase for 2024 is 2.5%
Tenant Hotline: 416-921-9494

City of Toronto Addressing Basement Flooding Calls

The City of Toronto is reminding residents to call 311, the City's 24-hour customer service line, to report basements flooded as a result of the intense rainfall in July.

311 is continuing to dispatch Toronto Water staff to investigate each call as quickly as possible. Residents are being asked to remain patient during this time. As of today, the City has received nearly 3,000 basement flooding calls. Due to the high volume of requests, it will take staff four to five days to visit a home once a call is received.

During investigations, Toronto Water staff will inspect the area's sewer system. If you are home when staff arrives, they will work with you to collect information on the cause of the flood. If you are not home, they will leave a door hanger with further details, including contact information for Toronto Water staff. Please do not call 311 once you receive a door hanger.

The results of these investigations will help the City determine if further solutions need to be put in place to help reduce basement flooding in areas most affected by the storm.

Residents are reminded to report flood-related property damage to their insurance provider as soon as possible. Take photos to support your insurance claim, and keep receipts for emergency repair work or cleanup.

Be mindful of health and safety when cleaning a flooded basement as you may be exposed to sewage or come in contact with water and electricity. Consider getting help with flooding cleanup through a water damage restoration company.

If the flooding is a result of a blocked drain pipe, leaking foundation walls or poor lot drainage on the property, the property owner is responsible for repairs and any subsequent damaged caused by the flooding.

 If you believe the City has been negligent in maintaining City facilities or infrastructure, such as roads and sewers, you can file a claim. More information can be found at:

You are also able to file a T6 application on Maintenance and Repairs at the Landlord  and Tenant Board to seek compensation from your landlord or apply for a reduction in your rent.

For more information about basement flooding, including more prevention tips, visit

For further assistance or information about your rights as a tenant during a flood, call the tenant hotline at 416-921-9494.

July 24, 2013

More like this: